While we are no longer making active post of Cricut projects on this blog as of 8/1/2013, we invite you to use it for continued die cut inspiration as we will leave the blog up for viewing. Happy Cricuting !

Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Birthday on Saint Patrick's Day!

This is Nadia from my blog, With Glittering Eyes.  (If you have visited me before, please note that I have a new blog address:  www.withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com.)  Today I have a project to share that I made for one of my daughter's little BFFs.  Her birthday is on St. Patty's Day so I came up with a little gift bag for her with a birthday leprechaun.


I keep on-hand 7-1/2" x 10-1/2" kraft paper gift bags-- that was my base.  (That is the measurement minus the handles.)  I cut the jumping leprechaun from Simply Charmed (page 32) at 7".


The thing with a big cut is that you kind of have to add extra details and pop up some elements to keep the die cut from flattening out.  For this little guy, I hand-cut an extra lock of hair.  I glued it flush on the 'scalp end' and popped it up with 1/8" pop dots on the 'curl end'.  I also popped up his little hat and added a shamrock to the hat band cut from A Child's Year (page 31), cut at 3/4".  I added a vest layer to his outfit but cutting two jackets and cutting one away so that I could layer them and see the second layer, like a vest.  I added adhesive pearls for vest buttons.  I hand-cut lapels for the top layer, the jacket, and added a breast pocket and pocket square.  


To make him a 'birthday' leprechaun, I cut a little cupcake from Something to Celebrate (page 22) at 1".  I only cut the first two layers since it was so tiny.  I cut a "9" candle from the same cart (page 30) at 3/4".  I hand-colored (with pencils) the flame and wick.

To give him a "place" to exist, I trimmer-cut rainbow-colored solids and layered them to create a ground and horizon line.  I placed a couple of tiny shamrocks, cut from A Child's Year at 1/2".


Lastly, for a tag, I cut a last shamrock, also from A Child's Year, at 3-1/4", and tied it on with 1/8" ribbon.


Lately, I have taken a little inventory of my Cricut cartridges and, as you have also probably figured out, there are many repeating icons among them!  I used to 'need' all the cartridges and came pretty close to getting them all before last autumn.  The good thing about this economy, hopefully there is a silver lining, is that many of us have gotten a chance to re-prioritize and to be more creative!  So... if you don't have the cartridges listed above, you can find shamrocks on the following cartridges that you may have:

  • Create-A-Critter 2
  • Designer's Calendar
  • Elmo and Friends Holiday
  • Give A Hoot
  • Imagine More Cards
  • Celebrate with a Flourish
  • Paper Doll Dress Up
  • Phrases 
  • Spring Fever
  • Holiday Cards
You can find leprechauns on the following cartridges that you may have:
  • CCR Exclusive:  St. Patrick's Day
  • Teddy Bear Parade
  • Paper Doll Dress Up
A cupcake image can be found on dozens of cartridges.  This is just a sampling:
  • A Child's Year
  • American Alphabet
  • Best Images of 2006 and 2009
  • Birthday Bash
  • Create-A-Critter 1 and 2
  • Storks Delivery
  • Divine Wedding
  • Doodlecharms
  • Elmo's Party
  • Every Day Paper Dolls
  • Hello Kitty Greetings... and the list goes on and on!!!!
Numbers can be found on any cartridge with font of course.

Thank you for checking my post today!  I hope you will visit my blog in the future.  You can always find my blog on Facebook at facebook.com/WithGlitteringEyesBlog and on Pinterest at pinterest.com/nadiahm/withglitteringeyes-blogspot-com-my-crafts/.  


Cricut Info & Supplies Used:
Designed By: Nadia Herbst-McConnell
Cricut Machines Used: Expression
Project Type: Gifts
Project Theme: Birthday, St. Patrick's Day
Cricut Cartridges Used:  Simply Charmed, A Child's Year, Something to Celebrate
Suppies Used: Paper, Quick Dry Glue, pop dots, adhesive pearls, microfine pen, ribbon

7 comments:

  1. I love all of the added elements - like the cupcake, the labels, and the lock of hair! Great color and composition and such a cute and memorable bag! I am sure Piper will be so excited to deliver her to her friend. Love it! I will be stopping by your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a bright, festive giftbag...I'm sure the recipient will love it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Darling!! I love it so much. I especially love how you did the rainbow. Very creative! Another beautiful craft, Nadia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this lephrachan and love the background very neat idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual Nadia, you have blown me away! I think this is too cute! I love the colorful background that you created. And it just wouldn't be a "Nadia" creation without something you've added on your own with a pair of scissors and your two creative hands, lol! It's so colorful that it makes you want to just smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun bag! He is a jollly one! I love the bright colors you used. Super!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a kind word for our Cricut FANatic Designers to let them know you stopped by and appreciate their work.