While we are no longer making active post of Cricut projects on this blog as of 8/1/2013, we invite you to use it for continued die cut inspiration as we will leave the blog up for viewing. Happy Cricuting !

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Vinyl Halloween Pumpkins

Hi again, this is Terri from http://www.scrappinwiththebug.blogspot.com/. I have another fun and simple project for you today. I bought these Styrofoam pumpkins last year at Michael's on clearance. (I paid $1.00 each for these pumpkins). The pumpkins are 9", 12", and 18" sizes.
 
I love fall, pumpkins, and Halloween so I used some Brown Cricut vinyl and cut some designs out to decorate the pumpkins.



If you have never worked w/ vinyl it is super easy.

Here is a few little tips for you: Do what is called a "Kiss Cut" - it is where you only cut the vinyl not the backing. To achieve this I used my expression and cut the vinyl at 3 on the pressure, 3 on the speed, and 3 on the blade depth. Vinyl cuts so nicely even small fin details cut out very nice. The second tip is for you to "weed" out the vinyl - that is just simply taking all the negative pieces out -I just use a pair of tweezers and works nicely. (Weeding out the pieces you don't want/need - ex. the windows on the house).

I used only 1 cartridge and that was Chic and Scary (Teresa Collins designed it).
Cut sizes Used: 
Witch w/ moon 5 1/2"
Spooky tree 5"
Spooky house 3"
Bats cut in different sizes: 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" 1" and 1 1/2". (That is also another great thing about vinyl is cutting smaller pieces).
Bird 1 1/2"
Cats 2" each - one cut normal and other flipped

I then pealed the vinyl off the backing and adhered them to the pumpkins. (I used a baby wipe to clean the pumpkins of any dust first).
Vinyl is forgiving and you can lift and reposition it if you get a bubble in it. Just smooth it out.
 
Hope you enjoy!!!

 
Cricut Info & Supplies Used:
Designed by:
Terri Szymanski
Cricut Cartridges Used: Chic and Scary
Cricut Machines Used: Cricut Expression
Project type: Home decor
Project theme: Halloween
Other Supplies Used: Styrofoam Pumpkins

13 comments:

  1. I love how you created a scene on each pumpkin. TFS Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these Halloween pumpkins! Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out very cute! I think that I may pick up some vinyl today and give this a try. Thanks for the tips on cutting the vinyl....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pumpkins. I'll have to pick up some vinyl and give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pumpkins. You picked fantastic cuts!!! Vinyl is a great idea for pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pumpkins. I really like that tree cut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. Your did a great job on these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great! I'm not a huge fan of digging out pumpkin guts so this would be a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love putting vinyl on those types of pumpkins (less of a mess). And you did a fantastic job on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to recycle from year to year! This is also good for real pumpkins! That way you can eat the pumpkin later!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tips on vinyl, these look great!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a kind word for our Cricut FANatic Designers to let them know you stopped by and appreciate their work.