While we are no longer making active post of Cricut projects on this blog as of 8/1/2013, we invite you to use it for continued die cut inspiration as we will leave the blog up for viewing. Happy Cricuting !

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Chalk Board Technique with the Cricut


Hi, this is Lori from the Singing Shell blog.  My husband is a no frills kind of guy so I needed a Valentine's Day card that was simple.  Enter the chalkboard technique.  I had been seeing this trend all over the internet and thought: Hey!  I bet I could do that with the Cricut!  The added bonus is that my husband is teacher so the chalkboard technique is something I have been itching to try.  This video by Tammy White was really helpful in teaching how to do the chalkboard technique.  I just adapted it for use with the Cricut instead of stamps.


1.  For this card, I used Carousel for the ticket diecut and Martha Stewart Elegant Cakes for the Dinner at 8 Uppercase font.

2.  The ticket diecut was cut at 3.5 x 5.75.  The letters were cut at 1.5.

3.  Before laying the letters on the ticket, I used a white pencil to create a border.  Then, I pasted the letter onto the ticket.



4.  Next,  I added the hearts and numbers with a white pencil.  One heart is done with a pink pencil for the color chalk effect.



5.  I added some talcum powder randomly on the ticket and shook off the excess.  The video shows the Embossing Buddy. With a new baby in the house, baby powder is much more accessible :)



6.  Finally, I added some more little hearts and 021413 on the sides of the ticket to represent Valentine's Day.



Here is close-up so you can see the chalkboard effect:



So there it is!  It is not just for stampers.  You can do the chalkboard technique with the Cricut, too!

Have a great day :)


Designer: Lori Sjogren
Machines: Cricut Create
Supplies: Black cardstock - Recollections

               Pencils - Reeves
               Heart paper clip - American Crafts With Love Collection

14 comments:

  1. Very cool! I'll have to give this a try. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - love the Chalk Board idea. GREAT job - thans for including the video for reference. I bet your hubby loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!! I love the idea of using baby powder to get the chalkboard look.

    And those paperclips!!! I just got some last night. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this affect before. Love how your card turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great technique. Thanks for sharing the video. Love how your card came out bet your hubby will too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! Thank you for the info-- love that you used baby powder! I am sure your husband will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card - and super fun techniques!!! Your husband is going to be thrilled!!! I love the date in the ticket number!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing the technique and your wonderful card! Love the 'understated' Valentine message!!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that your handwriting for the numbers? It's perfect for this card! The numbers really make it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. Love the technique. I've been thinking about trying it also. Thank you for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool tecnique! I'm sure your husband is going to love the card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great! I love how you adapted the technique and the card to suit your dh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW - thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to try this out! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a kind word for our Cricut FANatic Designers to let them know you stopped by and appreciate their work.