While we are no longer making active post of Cricut projects on this blog as of 8/1/2013, we invite you to use it for continued die cut inspiration as we will leave the blog up for viewing. Happy Cricuting !

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sketch Challenge #8

Welcome to our Sketch Challenge.  
This is Amy from Amy's Digi Scraps and welcome to the another Sketch Challenge! On the 20th of each month, I will post a sketch for you to enjoy!  I generally post a card sketch with a card that I create, but you can make it a layout as well.  Please visit the Sketch Challenge link for more information about our monthly Sketch Challenges.

Here is the sketch for today:



And here is the card I created for it:


This sketch was created as part of a class I will be teaching locally.  It is similar to what is known as a One Sheet Wonder, where you create several cards from one sheet of printed paper.  This class will allow the participants to create 17+ cards using very minimal supplies, adhesive, inks and stamps.  I will have the entire class and patterns available on my blog after the class has finished.  My purpose for these cards and the class is to encourage new card makers who want some creativity without having a lot of bulk or "extras" on their cards.  To show that simplicity can be beautiful.
 In addition, I am asking those who take the class to consider donating one or two of the cards they create in class to Operation Write Home (OWH).  This is a wonderful organization that sends blank cards overseas to our military so they have cards to send home to their loved ones.  Stationery supplies are not a priority there, so the cards really do fill a need.
I used paper that I bought in bulk from Tuesday Morning for both the printed paper and the solid color paper.  The stamps and ink are from Close To My Heart.
Now - what makes this class - and card - so fun for the Cricut Fanatics blog is that all the cuts are done by the Cricut Expression machine and George Cartridge!  Again, once the class is finished, I will share the information, but I drew out the cuts I wanted and then designed it on my Gypsy machine to cut with my Cricut.  The cricut doesn't cut all the way to the edges of the paper, but this is a simple cut with my scissors to finish separating and this saves a lot of time, measuring, and errors!!
If you've ever been in a class that requires a lot of cutting, you know how easy it is to get lost and make the wrong cuts, even with the diagram in front of you.  Having taught these classes before, I know how it can slow down the class, as well as create problems with paper waste.
By using my Cricut to cut these multiple, simple cuts, I am able to keep the class moving forward, plus promote the Cricut machine and Gypsy.
Some edge inking, a little bit of stamping, and glue everything down and presto! 17 different cards (or more) in under an hour.




We would love to see what you can do with this Sketch.  Please create a card or layout and upload the image to this post in the InLinkz!  Remember that you must use your Cricut in creating your project for the Sketch Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Amy! I love the idea of 17 cards from one sheet of printed paper. Any by using different sentiments, you can really rack up a card stash quickly. I'm adding this idea to my smash journal! Thanks for sharing (and teaching!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute card. I need to come here more often for ideas. Love the sketch.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a kind word for our Cricut FANatic Designers to let them know you stopped by and appreciate their work.